Location
Near the intersection of South Rd and Daws Rd, St Marys, South Australia
Construction Type
Unreinforced mass lime concrete
Background
“The Rosary”, afterwards known as Babbage’s Castle, was begun in 1875 and was still unfinished at the time of Babbage’s death in 1878. It was completed. by his relatives. In early life Mr. Babbage had erected lime-concrete bridges in the Alps and he tried the experiment of building the “Castle” with the same material. Unfortunately he obtained the gravel from creeks and tt contained clay and other objectionable matter. Worse still, magnesia water was used and this killed the qualities of the lime. The structure consequently began to crumble soon after its completion, and was, many years later, shaken badly by an earthquake. The tower, fell in 1906. Mr. Babbage ‘s daughter, Mrs. Clare, left the “Castle” to live at Glenelg in 1896. The property was subsequently acquired by the Adelaide Development Company. By 1936 the building had completely disappeared..
Facts supplied to Mr. J. Ferries by Mrs. F. H. Clare. https://www.catalog.slsa.sa.gov.au:443/record=b2492226~S1


Map
Heritage Listings
None
Current Use
Demolished c.1936